a comprehensive 3-day workshop
Explore English orthography in detail while learning how to implement this approach in your classroom. Teachers from ELC will join the workshop to share moments from their own, and their children's, orthographic learning journeys.
Participants are extended the opportunity to:
- deepen their own understanding of how English words are structured
- learn there really is a system and it can be explored through scientific inquiry
- use this inquiry process and discover for themselves the satisfaction and deep learning that ensues from following an investigation from start to finish
- understand the power of the morpheme (bases, prefixes and suffixes)
- be better informed about the complexity of letter-sound relationships and learn how this is interwoven with the structure and history of words
- discover how studying word structure can strengthen learning in all subject areas, with all students, be they 5 or 15 or even 55!
- develop confidence using a variety of structured word inquiry tools, such as the word sum, the morphological matrix and flowcharts
- know there actually is research behind the approach
- develop ways to implement this approach in your classroom
This comprehensive workshop is intended for educators K-12 educators interested in both understanding more about English orthography (our writing system at the word level) and learning practical ways they can immediately integrate it into their current classroom practice for the benefit of all learners. Although many of the examples will come from Elementary they can easily be adapted for Middle or High School.